Friday 24 January 2014

I hit more goals than Manchester United!


A good year.
Doing over 2000 miles in one year was hard work. I hadn't noticed I was getting close till the end of November. It was then I realised that I would have to do my second longest month to hit the target, not really what you want in December. Work and family commitments were against me as well.
I had to drive in to work for most days during the first two weeks, and then I had things to do for a couple of weekends.
So it came down to December 31st, with 21 miles to go. I checked the weather and it was due to clear up in the afternoon, so I waited, and actually fell asleep on the sofa, but managed to drag my butt out and get in the last few miles.
It wasn't the nicest rides of the year, a late down pour and then my pedal almost fell off, but I made it.
I got home and there were two posters from my wife and daughter congratulating me.

I have mentioned it before why it is so important to share your goals. If I hadn't told anyone, especially my family, I think I would have stayed asleep on the sofa. But every time I came back from a ride my daughter was helping me work out how many more miles I needed to do.

2013 Goals

99kg
Nowhere near, I'm still at 112kg, so hardly any loss, but I wasn't completely focused on the weight. I stopped going to the nurse every month and didn't have scales at home, so couldn't track it.
But I'm a lot fitter than last year.
I've got some scales now, and I'm back on track. I'm still using MyFitnessPal app, and through blogs I've got some fellow app users to lose weight together. So once again sharing goals, and successes is helping.

130 miles a month
Smashed!
I averaged 167 miles a month. A lot of this is down to the fact that I can cycle to work now, it is only a 10 mile round trip, but they all add up.
I also joined Fareham Wheelers and have been on their club rides 3 times, which are between 30 and 50 miles depending if I cycle out to Wickham or not.
My target this year is 155 miles. I've chosen this figure because Strava have monthly challenges, and if you do 155 miles or 250km you get a "badge".
I'm sure I will push it and go over 2000 miles again, but I want to focus more on my weight loss, and I think the cycling will take care of itself.

Meon Riser
The goal was to do this in 4:10 for the hilly 47 miles. I did it in 4:07, but it was very hard work.
This year I'm going to smash the 4 hour mark.

New Forest Rattler
The goal was to either get a Silver time for the shorter route or a Bronze time for the longer route. Unfortunately Haribo Joe had major surgery a few months before, and didn't have time to get back in shape, but you never leave your wing man. I owe a lot to Joe, he really encouraged me at the start and he had to wait at the top of the hills for me.
I don't think I'm going to be able to do this ride this year as I'm hoping to do the Ride London the week before, but we'll see.

Fort Nelson
This is the first ride I did with Joe. When I say "did", I should really say struggled with, it took nearly 2 hours.
My goal was to beat my best time of 58:34 and go under 55 minutes.
I did it in 54:45 minutes.

Sultan Bus Route
This is a route around Fareham and Gosport so quite flat and just over 15 miles.
The goal was to do it in under an hour, which I did, in a time of 57:35.

BHF Round the Harbours
I've done this ride 3 times, but never broke the 3 hour mark, so that was my goal.
I couldn't do the official ride,but knew the route and did it in 2 hours 48.

Cycle round the Isle of Wight
This just never happened, so is back on the list this year.
I think it will be great day out, and probably will be 100 miles in total.

I'm going to carry on going out with the Fareham Wheelers every few weeks. It's nice to go out with other people and learn new routes.
I've only got one sportive definitely planned, but would like to do the Mega Meon again, and beat my time. But I'm not sure if I can fit it in.

Losing weight is the main, focus and I will get down double digits by the start of next year.

Thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment, your support is always welcome.

Happy New Year and good luck with whatever you a planning to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment